Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blog Assignment 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

        This video explains how a "Networked Student" goes about researching through the internet using search engines like Google Scholar to find credible websites.  He contacts many famous scholars through the internet in a way that would not be possible face to face.
        I did not find this video very surprising because I feel like EDM 310 basically involves the same kind of work as this video explains.  The answer to, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" is that the teacher is more of a guide than a teacher.  She or he guides the students through "the learning experience" and is there to answer any questions the students may have.
        Am I prepared to be a teacher of networked students?  Yes, I do not see why I would have any trouble being this type of teacher though I do not want to be.  It is more personal when you are in the classroom with the students.  (And yes, I understand this model student in this video goes to class 3 days a week)


A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)

        This young girl seems to have it all together.  She knows how to accurately navigate the internet and has useful tools to do so.  Since I have not yet completed my PLN, it is hard for me to compare her PLE to my PLN.  However, I suppose mine would be very similar.  My interests are the natural world and ancient civilizations.  I am sure I could contact many archaeologists, geographers, and geologists through email.
        I do not watch a tremendous amount of television but instead get interested in things through magazines and the radio.  I especially like the National Geographic magazine which always has intriguing articles.  If I find something especially interesting, I will go search about it on the web.  I recently noticed in an issue that National Geographic now makes a "virtual magazine" for the iPad.  One can read the articles then click on pictures and they will load into videos or give a 360 degree angle of whatever is pictured.  Pretty cool new way to view the National Geographic magazine.


Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative by Michael Stanton, Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards and Why Are We STILL Wasting Money On Whiteboards? by Bill Ferriter, and Switching Off The Interactive Whiteboard For Good by Kevin McLaughlin

A Smart Board        Each of these men makes very persuasive arguments with different approaches.  Michael Stanton sums up his essay in two main arguments which are, "It makes the regular whiteboard more expensive, but not better" and, "It's an easy way for administrators to spend money on technology."  Bill Ferriter uses his two posts to explain how whiteboards do not engage the students because they cannot all use it at once and the other to, very persuasively, explain how a principal he knows spent $18,000 on 6 Smartboards when he could have used that money to buy 75 netbooks or 87 iPod Touches or 360 Livescribe Pens, etc.  The last post by Kevin McLaughlin took it to the level of the students by asking them, "If we could spend money on new IWB's or something else, what would you pick?" nearly all said "something else" which ranged from netbooks to Nintendo DS systems.  All of these arguments make for a very strong case.
        On the other side, I found an argument for Smartboards with the best two arguments being as follows.  The first claim from Smartboards Could Revolutionize The Classroom says that studies had shown that Smartboards had reduced the cycle of failure.  95% of students at this high-risk school were now routinely accepted into college.  The other argument insists that, "they helped increase student engagement by letting the students get involved with the technology by going up and manipulating the board themselves."  This two are good arguments, but can't these same two points be argued for other less expensive tools as the group of men in the first four posts insisted?  To spend that kind of money on whiteboards still does not make any sense to me.







4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I think that you did a fine job on your blog post. I agree with many things that you said. One being, that the teacher is more of a guide than a teacher. In watching the video,The Networked Student, he makes it clear that a teacher is needed and that it is our job to guide the students in their technological endeavors. Without teachers, the students would not know what resources were out there and how to put them to use. I admire you for knowing what kind of teacher you want to be. I feel that children need the human connection to thrive. While technology is a great tool and allows us access to an abundance of information, it will never replace a teacher's personal touch.
    I found that the blog posts on SMARTboards to be interesting. I can see both sides of this issue. I understand the argument about them being so expensive, but I do think that they are valuable in the classroom. I work in a kindergarten class and they are engaged in our lessons from start to finish. They are able to come to the board and actually be part of the lesson. I have found that teachers create lessons and share with each other so that the grade level can stay on pace. It's a team effort. I am just thankful that we have any form of technology in our classrooms. Until we got the SMARTboards, our students only had access to two computers that seldom worked. I think with the teacher's initiative and application of all of the training they receive, the SMARTboard is a very useful tool.
    I'm so glad that you are using links and pictures. It really helps to be able to go straight to the posts that you are referring to. Great job!
    Deana Nunn

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yes, I do not see why I would have any trouble being this type of teacher though I do not want to be." I think this an absolutely honest statement. The only trouble you would have is that you would be doing something you didn't want to do (at least as you see it now). Doing something you do not want to do has the potential of causing you to do something at a level below your best.

    As I said in my comment to your post very few teachers, if any, only have to do what they want to do. I forgot to add in that comment that I would rather not give grades, only determine when a student has demonstrated that she knows, can do or has experienced the objectives for the course. I also would prefer having no deadlines for demonstrating competence since some students move much more rapidly than others and are held back by our set instructional time frames. But I am not able to do so.

    You have not yet tried the approaches which you say you do not want to do. I reacted the same way with Twitter and with commenting on blogs. But I was wrong! Wrong! And one of the lessons I learned was this: It is best to not make judgements of this type unless you have had the experiences being judged. Especially since it is highly likely that if you do become an educator you will be forced to use some, if not all, of the approaches Wendy Drexler has set out in her video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked the button too quickly. Let me add that your writing is excellent and your positions are well argued and presented. Are you open to using iPads with interactive lessons built around National Geographic lessons? And why limit your contacts through email? I find twitter to be MUCH better tool for establishing such links. Try it. Do a search for key words. Follow those people. Build a network from the people that are interesting on Twitter.

    Exceptionally well written. keep it up. (I know you will!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google Scholar is very useful. Google also has another tool that allows you to fill in the websites that you make searchable by your students. Thanks for reminding me to check out the National Geographic app. You also introduced me to livescribe pens. Thanks for all the heads up! Good work on your post, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete