Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog Assignment 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod


        Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University. He also is the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, and was a co-creator of the wildly popular video, Did You Know? (Shift Happens).
(The above paragraph was copied and pasted from bigthink.com)
        In my comment on Scott McLeod's post, I told him how it was a very persuasive style of writing and it does make a good point.  However, I saw a comment that someone else had left, saying, "Are we preparing students for the future if they are capable of reading and utilizing the web but can’t sit down and read a whole book? To be able to analyze what they are reading?"  I totally agree.  Professor Strange has emphasized how technology can help us to be more innovative in the classroom.  YES it can help if you know how to use the technology correctly and appropriately, but it does not HAVE to be there.  We have read articles in the past that explained how technology is totally useless unless the teacher knows how to utilize it.  This lady that I work with has a daughter who goes to Murphy High School and the girl said that every single one of her teachers has a Smartboard in the classroom, but only one teacher actually uses it on a day to day basis.  Why do schools waste money on this kind of stuff if their teachers don't even us it?  You might say, "the school should implement a seminar where these teachers will learn how to incorporate the Smartboards into their lessons each day."  YES teachers should always be learning new things, but maybe some of these teachers have developed lesson plans that are relying information to their students just fine without the use of Smartboards.  I feel like we are making a mountain out of a mole hill by constantly saying a classroom is no good without the latest technology.  Schools need to spend their money on getting better quality teachers, more choices of subjects for students to take, better field trips so kids can learn about the world, and maybe improvement of the school facilities.  Not on useless Smartboards.  I am very interested to see what a decade or two with Scott McLeod's technology driven classes will give to these future generations who will be emerging as the rulers of our world.  I am not so sure he should be so confident in himself but only time will tell.  I realize Scott McLeod has so many more credentials than me so one might think, "how can this 20 year old college student say he is wrong?"  I guess I am a reactionary in this case, because I can see how what we are doing now is working fine for the majority of our schools so I do not see why we should change it.  Let change happen on its own.  Jacey- Blaire Chandler commented on my Blog Assignment 3 saying, "You'd be surprised at how many people your age cannot use a computer effectively! You and I have both been blessed with access to advanced technology unlike a larger number of people than we realize!"  I have to disagree.  I think nearly any aspiring teacher going to a university in America has access to advanced technology and can use computers effectively.  If these students can afford to go to a university than they can most likely afford a computer, in fact South Alabama makes this one of their requirements.  I have not met one person yet who does not have one in college.  Even if it is a family computer used at home.  My point is, if my generation is technologically advanced as I claim, we will be perfectly fine "teaching technology" when we become teachers one day because that is what we were used to.  We need to stop making an issue out of nothing.  Lastly, I will continue to believe that even though we can be technologically advanced, we do not have to be in the classroom. 

The iSchool Initiative by a high school senior


        A 2009 high school student put together this video explaining how schools should start incorporating iPod Touches into the classes and eliminate physical textbooks, paper, and pencils thus making the classroom green and saving about $500 per student.  The idea of not having to buy graphing calculators and textbooks is a very pleasing thought.
        This is a good idea in theory, but we must remember the implications if something like this were to happen in every school.  An Apple Monopoly?  No basic skills for students such as learning how to write? I do not think I nor anyone else wants something like this to happen.  I think a better idea would be to incorporate the iPod Touch in some ways, like for use as a graphing calculator, classroom e-mail, and special assignments.

Apple Logo


You Can't Be My Teacher by Darren Cannell



        This video has a young boy asking questions to teachers such as, "Do you know how to use the internet?  Do you know what Twitter is? Do you know what Facebook is?  Do you think I am going to be ready?  Do you think you are preparing me for the world that I have to live in?" and ends with, "That's your job!" It is very effective and makes one think.  Should it be every teacher's job to teach their students about the internet?  Yeah, for a technology class.
        Teaching is not all about technology and our world is not all about technology.  There is much more to the planet than the internet.  Children the age of this kid need to be outside more, using their energy and exploring the world around them.  They do not need to spend their day in front of a computer because by the time they are adults, that is what they will be spending most of their time doing.  Creativity and imagination in children is much stronger after they have played outside.  Studies have shown that test scores improve after physical activity as well.  Information from this website. You are only a child once.

Jennifer Chambers' Blog and
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir


        Jennifer Chambers posted a link to a video with Eric Whitacre and 185 other people.  Eric Whitacre acted as the conductor and the other 185 people were the singers.  When I first saw the video, I thought it was trying to suggest that Whitacre was conducting this to all of these people at once, at the same time, but then I thought that would not be possible considering some people's internet might have lagged so they may have started singing later than others.
        So, I looked up how he did it and really he only asked people to submit videos of them singing their parts, such as soprano, alto, tenor, and bass and then had someone compile all of the videos together to create this one group song with Eric Whitacre playing the role of the conductor.  It was very well done and the music was touching.  I will not deny that it is amazing what can be done through the internet and this was a very innovative idea.

Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts


        This video contains many questions and shows both sides to the debate of whether or not teaching with technology is good or bad.  Kevin Roberts claims that teachers are no longer the source of information, but rather the filter of information because students can look up anything, anytime, anywhere.  He is right in this regard.  He further insists that the use of these tools is not entertainment, but engagement.  I agree that engagement is a problem with students today but is it good to use tools that students are used to using for entertainment?  I guess it could be, but I feel like we are giving in with thoughts of, "OK, if we can't get you to focus any other way, we'll use something that has done well with keeping you entertained."
        If the world becomes as propelled by technology as everyone says it will be for these future generations, should kids be bombarded by technology and the constant use of internet now? I just feel schools need to give them something a little different if their current entertainment and future is going to be all about technology.  Don't let your whole entire class consist of your students sitting behind a computer screen.  People need variety in their lives.

8 comments:

  1. "...because I can see how what we are doing now is working fine for the majority of our schools so I do not see why we should change it." Really? Then why are more than 1/3 of students in EDM310 unable to pass simple math exams? (I used to give them upon entry but found the data too discouraging!) Why are there so many poor writers among people who want to teach? Take a look in this class. I would say that 10% are very poor writers and I wonder how they got to the junior year in college. Another 10% are marginal but not equipped to teach writing to their students. And you say "...what we are doing now is working fine..."? Last semester I had a student in the student's first semester of practice teaching. The student was assigned to a reputedly "good teacher." She did not know where Egypt was (somewhere north on the Mediterranean she told her class), she totally misunderstood the principles of science that she used in one class, she yelled at the class continually, she introduced the kids ONLY by what they did wrong (in her eyes). Just wait. You have a lot of surprises ahead of you. Now I am not arguing that technology will cure these problems. Nor am I arguing that we should teach technology. You write "...we will be perfectly fine 'teaching technology' when we become teachers one day..." You should not even think about "teaching technology"! You should teach students how to use the best tools available to increase their effectiveness as learners! My argument is that the failure to use the most effective research and communication tools available will absolutely reduce our effectiveness as educators and the skills and abilities of our students. And as far as Smartboards go, I too think they are a waste of money. (So does Dr. McLeod). I would much rather use that money to put the best tools in the hands of the students. That includes access to the internet with the fewest restrictions possible!

    It's NOT teaching technology! It's using all tools (including communication and internet access tools) to enhance and facilitate learning!

    "Should it be every teacher's job to teach their students about the internet? Yeah, for a technology class. " My response: There should NOT BE technology classes! But technology tools that make us more efficient and effective learners should be part of EVERY class!

    "...giving in..."? Come now. Is that what cooks said when we moved from wood stoves to electric stoves? Or typewriter salesmen said to computer salesmen? Or washer women said to Maytag? Why is being "old fashioned" so important to you? Nostalgia is fine, but I wouldn't want to live in a cave. Would you? Nor would I want to teach in a school in Mobile without air conditioning. Would you? But I would add I don't like teaching in a lab that is so cold it could serve as a meat locker either!

    "Don't let your whole entire class consist of your students sitting behind a computer screen. People need variety in their lives." I agree. But that is not the question we are considering in this class!

    Well written. Fun to read and certainly creates a desire to respond which is fun and thought provoking. But I think you miss the point of what we are about in EDM310. We do not want you to be technology teachers. We want you to know about, know how to use, and be willing to use ALL tools that a learner in the 21st century must have if they are to be effective participants in the new technology based economy and world. That applies to you and all learners (we hope this includes all students and teachers) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Professor Strange,

    The points you make in the first section of your comment about the bad quality of future teachers have nothing to do with technology but with the quality of teaching these people had. That IS a problem! Which is why I have emphasized how colleges need to produce BETTER educators! I think right now that every single education class I am taking should be putting me in front of the class so I can learn to be comfortable speaking in front of a class since this is what I will be doing EVERY DAY when I become a teacher! Yet, only a few classes in education have done this! That is a problem to me. Also, why not have harsher requirements for teachers? Maybe the reason why you have encountered students who cannot write well, do not know their geography, and do not know simple math is because they were not pushed harder or inspired in high school or college. Technology has nothing to do with this.

    When I said "teaching technology" I was referring to the video you required us to watch called "You Can't Be My Teacher" because if you go and rewatch that video, that is what it is basically telling teachers to do! The little boy even said, "Are you going to teach me using the internet?...And if you are not on the internet...and know nothing about computers. You can't be my teacher!" Sounds to me like I should be teaching this kid technology! That was all I meant by "teaching technology."

    When I said "giving in" I simply meant that I view many of the "technology tools" used in classrooms as an easier way to get kids to focus. It's more entertaining to them, therefore easier. Never will I believe we should be living in a cave and reject technology! Like I have said, it has done wonderful things for us and I use technology regularly. I have a certain way I want to run my classroom and I am sorry if you do not think it should be run this way. Maybe we should agree to disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    On the contrary to your comments regarding my comment, a lot of people can receive financial aid for college, but cannot afford a computer with their own money. There is a plethora of low-income schools in low-income areas with barely any access to technology for the people whom live there. However, you said that every aspiring teacher has access to advanced technology. Are you positive? Everyone in EDM310 is an aspiring teacher but not everyone can use a computer effectively, yet. There are even a few very credible teachers who are taking the class to re-certify. The EDM students with an open mind and positive attitude end up learning, appreciating technology, and planning ways to incorporate technology into the classroom (considering our society is relying more on technology every day). We're not saying that being technologically savvy automatically makes someone a great teacher, which is what you're interpreting from the lessons. Having a positive attitude about the class will make it more enjoyable for everyone and you will get more for your money. So why not open your mind and make the most of the class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth,
    I agree that to much emphasis on technology is a bad thing. I believe that we still need to learn to read books and to write. I also believe that if a school has the extra funds to buy new equipment then they also need to give the teachers seminars on how to use it effectively. Of course, you have some teachers that refuse to learn new things, whether it is using technology or new strategies of teaching a certain subject. These are the teachers who fail students. They feel that there is only one way to teach and all students should learn this way. Unfortunately, all students do not learn the same and some fall behind because they do not get the help that they need. I agree that most everyone in college has access to a personal computer but just because you have one does not mean you know how to use it effectively. I certainly don't. I do have a question for you. If you are in a classroom that has all the latest technology will you use it help teach your class?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacey-Blaire,

    Go to this link: http://www.southalabama.edu/com/pdf/handbook.pdf

    The link above is to the University of South Alabama's College of Medicine Student Handbook. Scroll down to page 51 and it reads, "All students entering the University of South Alabama College of Medicine as first year students are required to purchase a laptop computer configured to meet the minimum requirements set out by the College of Medicine." Granted, this is the College of Education, not the College of Medicine, but I would imagine that the policy stands about the same. I understand students may still not have the money to afford a computer, but that does not change the fact that they are "required" to have one. Yes, every college student aspiring to become a teacher DOES have access to advanced technology. They may not be able to afford one for themselves personally, but they can go to the computer lab or library at the university nearly any time and use the computers there for free. You are right, not every aspiring teacher can use computers effectively but this tends to be older generations, not our generation. I open my mind to this class by keeping up with all the assignments and voicing my opinion on my blog. What more should I be doing? Lying and saying I agree with everything set in front of me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouida,

    You're right, some teachers think that there is only one way to learn and if a child does not get it, then too bad for them. That is not a good approach at all. This is where the video "The Importance of Creativity" with Sir Ken Robinson we watched awhile back comes into play, in my opinion. That video explained how teachers should be aware of the talents of each of their students, what they were good at and where their ambitions lay. He said many children had lost creativity as they grew up because they were taught not to have it. This is where teachers should learn to change. Everyone has something they are good at and teachers should find this "something" and use it to help the student excel.

    To answer your question, "If you are in a classroom that has all the latest technology will you use it help teach your class?"

    Yes, I would because otherwise that would be more wasted equipment (and money). Now, if the school asked me, "Do you want us to bring this new equipment in your classroom?" I would say, "No." The reason for this is, I know there are other teachers who would probably want to use it more than me and I do not want to force the school to spend more money on equipment for my classroom if it is not completely necessary for my teaching style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of what I would add here I used as a comment on your post Isn't It My Opinion?

    But I can resist a good debate so I'll add two quick things:

    1. It is interesting that we see and understand things differently. Some people read a book, hear a song, watch a movie and get one message. Another person might get a different message. That appears to be the case in watching You Can't Be My Teacher. I heard the message that you can't be my teacher because you (the teacher) don't know how to use the internet as a teaching tool even though I (the student) use the internet all the time. You apparently heard a different message as indicated in your first comment in this series. You write "When I said "teaching technology" I was referring to the video you required us to watch called "You Can't Be My Teacher" because if you go and rewatch that video, that is what it is basically telling teachers to do! The little boy even said, "Are you going to teach me using the internet?...And if you are not on the internet...and know nothing about computers. You can't be my teacher!" Sounds to me like I should be teaching this kid technology! That was all I meant by "teaching technology." You interpreted the kid's message as "Teach me technology." I interpreted his message as "If you want to be my teacher you better master the tools I already know how to use and then use them to teach me to ,,, (your expertise)." Fascinating that we hear very different messages.

    2. You write "... if it is not completely necessary for my teaching style..." in your comment immediately above this one. I have a much longer reply in the comment on your post Isn't It My Opinion? Maybe I shouldn't be but I am surprised that you have a teaching style before you have even completed your undergraduate instruction and have never held a job as a certified teacher. At least I think this is true since you were born in 1990 and can't be over 21! If you are a learner you will not have a set "teaching style" for very long. You have a lot to learn about teaching and teaching styles. And so do I even though I have been teaching since 1964, some 26 years before you were born! Experience is a marvelous teacher and you are just about to get your feet wet with the real experiential teacher: a classroom with kids for whom you are responsible! I learn many new things about teaching every semester. Maybe every week! As Jacey-Blair recommended, open your mind to the myriad of possibilities, many of which you have never considered or even know about. I do not ask you to agree with me. That would be difficult anyway since I continue to change my ideas about teaching and learning. I just do not want you to declare that you know the way things should be done before you have ever had an opportunity to consider the many options that you have never considered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Professor Strange,

    I am sorry if I came off as arrogant in making claims about "my teaching style" and not "opening my mind to to the myriad of possibilities." You are right, I do not have a set teaching style but I think every aspiring teacher imagines how they WANT to teach. That was the teaching style I was thinking of. I do imagine what my classroom will look like and how I will teach. I am sorry if that was wrong of me to imagine. As far as opening my mind to the myriad of possibilities, I do all the assignments and consider the opinions made in the videos and articles you have assigned. Do I need to do more? I hold different opinions than you and I am sorry if that offends you.

    ReplyDelete