Sunday, July 3, 2011

C4T #3

        The first comment I left on The Spicy Learning Blog was on the post Get up and Talk.  In this post, Royan Lee explains how technology can sometimes overshadow the importance of speaking in front of the classroom.  He says this is a part of the modern classroom and though it is a small part, it is very important.  In my comment, I told him how I completely agreed and how it is especially true for EDM 310, a class all about technology.
        In my second comment on The Spicy Learning Blog, it was on the post entitled Jermaine.  The way Mr. Lee wrote this was very touching and I really recommend you go read it for yourself to get the entire feel of it.  A basic summary of the post, however, is that Jermaine was a student who used his iPad to write his own music.  It was a source of creativity and inspiration for him.  Mr. Lee talked to him and asked him who taught him how to do all of that.  Jermaine simply replied, "No one, sir."  The conversation continues and Mr. Lee learns that Jermaine is not allowed to bring the iPad to class.  Mr. Lee ends the post with, "...and [it] left [me] with the strangest mixture of anger and hope for our education system."  I feel that I best made my response to this post through my comment, so in order to prevent being repetitious, I will paste my comment here.


        "This post really got me thinking. In a world where electronics are taking over the world, should they have a place in the classroom as well? Jermaine felt his iPad was a source of creativity and spoke to him more than his own teachers did. This would be a good tool to help Jermaine become more interested in school. It’s not that we should buy a bunch of iPads and start making everyone in class use them, but instead look at what each individual uses for inspiration and creativity and seek to use that tool in the classroom for that individual. Of course, nearly everyone would have different inspirations and it would be hard to incorporate it all in classrooms where everyone is graded equally. Maybe, though, it can become a reality one day."

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your description of your first comment. It is important for kids to develop the social skills that it takes to speak interpersonally and publicly. Technology can help provide prompts for those discussions, much like your final presentation today! Great job, once again.

    ReplyDelete